UK Work Permits is not part of the Home Office: the official body for visa applications in the UK, and is not affiliated with it. We are a leading consultancy specialising in UK immigration. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the Official UKVI website. The specialist legal services we offer cannot be obtained directly from the Home Office. To find out more about these services, please read our FAQs.

Contact Us for Assistance
020 3405 3180
Contact the Home Office
0300 123 2241

Tier 2 – For Candidates

Tier 2 of the new Points Based System covers skilled workers with a job offer from a UK employer, and has now replaced the old work permit arrangements.

The purpose of this Tier is to fill skills gaps from within the UK labour force. The actual application for leave to enter or remain in the UK, as with the rest of the PBS, is made by the individual. However, in order to score the required number of points under Tier 2, the applicant requires a Certificate of Sponsorship. A Certificate of Sponsorship under this tier can only be issued by an employer that has obtained the appropriate sponsor’s license, and maintained a place on the national Sponsors’ Register. In common with the work permit arrangements, approval under this Tier is based upon, and is conditional on, the individual continuing in the relevant role with the relevant employer.

If you have been offered a position with a UK employer, you will need to consider the following points:

Is the employer willing to sponsor me?

You will need to speak to your potential UK employer and confirm with them whether they are willing and able to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship for you.

Is the employer a licensed sponsor?

A new requirement under Tier 2 is that all employers wishing to sponsor skilled workers under this Tier must have a sponsor’s licence. Employers can gain a licence by making an application to the Border Agency . However in doing so, the employer is confirming that they are compliant with the Home Office rules. Please see the main Tier 2 page for more information.

You can find out if your potential employer has a valid sponsor’s licence by clicking here and checking the ‘Register of Sponsors’.

If the employer does not have a licence but is interested in obtaining one and would like more information on what is involved, please ask them to get in touch with us.

What next?

If the employer is willing to sponsor you, and holds a Sponsor’s Licence, the employer may be able to issue you with a Certificate of Sponsorship which will enable you as an individual to make an application for either entry clearance or further leave to remain. There are a number of eligibility criteria and requirements that will need to be met. UKWP are able to provide assistance on this under one of our Service Level Agreements.

UK Work Permits can provide assistance to individuals making applications for either entry clearance or further leave to remain based upon a Certificate of Sponsorship. We can also assist with entry clearance and further leave to remain applications based upon work permits.

Please contact us for details of our services relating to these applications.


Contact Us


Please enter the CAPTCHA code in the box above