UK Work Permits is not part of the Home Office: the official body for visa applications in the UK, and is not affiliated with it. We are a leading consultancy specialising in UK immigration. If you would like to prepare and submit your UK immigration application yourself you can do so by visiting the Official UKVI website. The specialist legal services we offer cannot be obtained directly from the Home Office. To find out more about these services, please read our FAQs.

Contact Us for Assistance
020 3405 3180
Contact the Home Office
0300 123 2241

Tier 5

Tier 5 launched on the 27th November 2008. This Tier covers youth mobility and temporary workers. It relates to many situations where people are coming to the UK to satisfy primarily non-economic objectives.

The following routes have now been replaced by Tier 5:

  • China graduate work experience programme;
  • EU Leonardo da Vinci Programme;
  • Exchange teachers and language assistants;
  • General Agreement of Trades in Services (GATS);
  • International Association for the Exchange of Students of Technical Experience (IAESTE);
  • International Fire Fighter Fellowship Programme;
  • Medical training initiative;
  • Non-pastoral religious workers;
  • Overseas domestic workers (in diplomatic households);
  • Overseas government employees;
  • Rudolf Steiner;
  • Training and Work Experience Scheme (TWES);
  • Vander Elst;
  • Visiting religious workers;
  • Voluntary workers;
  • some work permits in the creative and sporting sector.
  • Working Holidaymaker

Tier 5 is made up of six sub-categories. All these categories are short-term entry categories and applicants are expected to leave the United Kingdom when their permission to stay expires.

Youth Mobility

This category has replaced the Working Holidaymaker visa and allows a young person from a participating country to come to the UK for up to 2 years. The participating countries are currently as follows:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Monaco

Creative and sporting

This sub-category allows an applicant to come to the United Kingdom as a sportsperson, an entertainer or a creative artist for up to 12 months.

Charity workers

This sub-category allows an applicant to come to the United Kingdom as a voluntary worker for a charity. The applicant can only apply under this category if they intend to do unpaid fieldwork, directly related to the purpose of the organisation.

Religious workers

This sub-category allows an individual to come to the United Kingdom as a religious worker. They cannot apply under this category if they will be involved in preaching or pastoral work while in the United Kingdom.

Government authorised exchange

This sub-category allows an individual to come to the United Kingdom through an approved scheme aimed at sharing knowledge, experience and best practice. This scheme cannot be used to fill job vacancies or provide a route to the United Kingdom for unskilled workers.

International agreement

This sub-category allows an individual to the come to the United Kingdom to provide a service that is covered under international law. The work covered by this category includes GATS, other bilateral agreements, employees of overseas governments and international organisations, and the provision for private servants in diplomatic households.

Any individual or organisation wishing to make applications under this Tier should contact us for initial advice and feedback.


Contact Us


Please enter the CAPTCHA code in the box above